September 05, 2026

0852 Chapter 36

 

Chapter Thirty-Five: Afterword



By the time this book truly meets everyone in printed form, it has probably been more than a year since it was first serialized online. But that is only what you see. In truth, it took shape even earlier than my first novel, 《寻爱游戏》. So to be precise, 0852 was conceived at the beginning of 2015.

For certain reasons, I once abandoned this story. Yet it lingered in my mind, and it felt wasteful to let it go. I originally planned to use it to fill the gap after 《寻爱》, compressing it into a short piece of around ten thousand words to share with everyone. What I did not expect was that many readers left comments under the text, hoping I would continue writing the story. As a newcomer, having my work liked by readers was an immense encouragement and affirmation. So, as if injected with a sudden surge of adrenaline-like excitement, I started again, reworking the details and organizing the outline.

Readers often ask me where the inspiration for this story came from. Whenever that happens, I have to squint my eyes and think back carefully.

It was after the Spring Festival in 2015. I went with Xie Fu to Zhongbei Town to meet some friends. On the way, we passed near Hongqiao District People’s Hospital. Xie Fu, being a local through and through, somehow brought up that this place used to be the site of the Tianjin Municipal Prison, commonly known among locals as the “Xiao Xiguan” prison. The prison was massive, with a history of a hundred years, dating back to the late Qing Dynasty.

Xie Fu said that behind the hospital, corner towers still remain to this day. They were built right on the prison’s second perimeter wall. Armed police usually stood guard there. If anyone attempted to escape, there was every possibility they would be shot on the spot.

The scene he described felt both unfamiliar and distant to me, yet I was irresistibly curious about such a dangerous and shadowed place.

It was dusk that day. I could not help turning my head to look out the window. The once cold and imposing walls were gone, replaced by rows of high-rise buildings. Each window glowed with a white incandescent light. It was impossible to imagine what the place used to look like. The car came to a steady stop at a red light. The moment I pulled my thoughts back, a shadow suddenly entered my line of sight. He was hunched over, squatting on the roadside curb, a cigarette burning in his hand. Because of the lighting, I could not see his face clearly. But the back of my head suddenly tightened, and several images flashed through my mind. And just like that, the rough outline of Lu Qiang took shape.

Of course, defining Lu Qiang as a rough, rugged man has nothing to do with that person. That trait is entirely my own “quirky preference.” When it comes to rough, rugged men, some people ask me why I am so fond of this type of character. Perhaps it is because of where I grew up. Having lived in the north since childhood, my understanding of men has always been that they should be masculine, bold, generous, unrestrained in small matters, and capable of taking responsibility. And I think that between women and men, one firm and one gentle, one yin and one yang, this complementary nature is precisely the subtle brilliance of the Creator in making humanity.

Then comes the question. In a story, shaping the male lead is relatively easy. No matter how flawed or dark he is, readers tend to accept him. But the female lead is different. If she is not written well, she will be labeled as a “white lotus” or a “green tea bitch”. So when defining Lu Yin’s character, I thought about it for a long time. I was even prepared to be criticized. But in the end, I still followed my heart and made her a soft girl who appears gentle on the outside but is strong within.

In a way, compared to Yu Nan, the female lead of 《寻爱》, I like Lu Yin’s personality more. She is closer to real life, closer to myself. She has many small flaws. She is sensitive, timid, a bit cunning in small ways, overly concerned with societal judgment, hesitant when faced with decisions, and cries easily when wronged. I believe that in all of these, you can find reflections of yourselves to some degree. But she has one strength. Once she sets her mind on something, she remains unwavering and utterly devoted. A woman like water changed the course of Lu Qiang’s life, allowing him to let go of the past without regret and devote himself wholeheartedly to building a simple, happy life with her.

Seen this way, a man of iron paired with tender affection could not be more fitting.

Fortunately, by the time the story ended, those who liked it far outnumbered those who criticized it. That is something I find deeply comforting.

Readers who followed the serialization all know that I write very slowly. Especially in the later stages, I could not even guarantee three updates a week. But every chapter was revised over a dozen, even twenty times. I truly poured my feelings into this story.

The process was exhausting, but I was also very fortunate, because I had all of you.

Thank you for staying with me all this time. Your encouragement was, at one point, the reason I kept going.

The publication process was also full of setbacks. I thank my publishing editor for giving 0852 the opportunity to be presented before you.

In the days to come, I will continue moving forward. The next story, 《寒冬将至》, I will tell it to you slowly.

Xie Zong
Early morning, September 26, 2016

✦

PREVIOUS    ❀    CONTENTS    ❀    NEXT


No comments:

Post a Comment